Nurses aren’t allowed to work to their full potential
Medicare funding requires GP-led service
Incentives to upskill are lacking
- Count practice nurse time towards long and complex consultations (Medicare Level C and above) so that nurses can provide additional input without the GP losing financially.
- Introduce primary care nurse prescribing models, supported by education scholarships to upskill nurses.
- Increase Medicare Benefits Scheme nurse item numbers to support nurses and practices to develop new models of care.
- Ensure the Workforce Incentive Program provides for the total cost of employing a nurse at a rate commensurate with hospital employment. Ensure this is paid to the nurse with study leave, contributions to continuing professional development and a qualification payment.
- Provide scholarships for enrolled primary care nurses to become registered primary care nurses, creating a career path.
- Establish a sustainable model of mentorship for Nurse Practitioner candidates and registered nurses undertaking training in diagnostics and prescribing.
- Establish a national clinical training program that supports the development of advanced practice skills for Nurse Practitioner candidates and prepares them for independent and collaborative practice in primary care and community health.
- Establish a mechanism for evaluating the impact of nurse-led initiatives in primary care on community access and patient-reported outcomes.
Source: Read Full Article